- The following law firms have offered to provide UCLA Startup in a Box participants with a set package of services at no charge, including: incorporation / entity formation, standard legal documents (NDAs, employment agreements, etc), and assistance with a pre-funding cap-table. Startup in a Box companies are responsible for associated filing fees. Though companies are not obligated to continue to use their services after incorporation, OIP-ISR hopes that your company will naturally want to continue the relationship.
- Companies are required to have a business bank account in order to apply for SBIR or STTR grants. Toward that end, the following banks have agreed to provide UCLA Startup in a Box participants with no-deposit, no-fee bank accounts.
- Startup in a Box offers connections to insurance providers who can help with a range of insurance needs. These firms can specifically help with the insurance requirements in your license agreements with OIP.
- TriNet has engaged in a partnership with UCLA to provide Startup in a Box participants access to discounted rates to HR services. TriNet offers startups a range of services including medical and dental benefits, payroll processing and more.
- Early Growth Financial Services offers low-cost, fixed price professional accounting services for early-stage companies through the JumpStart program. Beyond accounting services, they also provide access to a CFO, financial modeling and tax services.
- Moss Adams can guide very early stage companies with complimentary consultations regarding accounting systems, payroll set-up, tax filings and planning for SBIR and other grants compliance. As your organization grows, they can also provide bookkeeping, financial reporting and tax services at fixed fees that are appropriate for the stage of your company at that time.
- CrowdSmart’s mission is to empower UCLA startups to connect and collaborate with the broader UCLA alumni community, and to enable alumni to find and propel promising Bruin startups to greater success. CrowdSmart’s software platform gives UCLA startups the tools they need to tap community-wide expertise, knowledge, best ideas and insights using proven collective intelligence and machine-learning technologies. CrowdSmart can help UCLA startups achieve market traction and product/market fit faster, and help alumni discover and provide promising startups with the critical resources they need to succeed.
- Through Littler, the world’s largest labor and employment law firm, startups can access the Littler X-Celerator, a web-based toolkit which provides a suite of services including key employment documents and guidance on how to effectively use those documents.
SBIR / STTR Workshop
- UCLA Startup in a Box participants will be permitted to register for QB3’s SBIR / STTR Workshop for a $250 fee. This program includes working sessions and filing clinics, all of which can be accessed remotely via web conference.
Eligibility / How to Apply
- To qualify for the program, companies or teams must either intend to license a UCLA technology, or have a UCLA faculty, post-doc, graduate student, or staff member co-founder. To apply for the program, please download and complete the UCLA Startup in a Box application form. Send the completed application to SIAB@research.ucla.edu.